Today, Cappella Cantorum is comprised of three distinct units:
The organization’s primary purpose is to give singers of all ages the opportunity to learn, perform and share great choral music with the wider community. True to its original intent, all of the Cappella Cantorum choruses continue to welcome new members without audition.
To that end, Cappella Cantorum also offers music education and coaching to improve sight-reading, understanding of music theory and vocal production. Summer vocal workshops are offered periodically, as are group lessons with professional singers and voice coaches. Singers are encouraged throughout the year to augment learning with a variety of rehearsal aids they can use on their own.
Cappella Cantorum benefits singers and the community in many ways:
- Adds to the quality of life by enriching cultural offerings available to audiences in the area
- Gives all singers the opportunity to participate with no auditions required
- Provides an opportunity for study and performance of major choral works with professional orchestra, conductor and soloists
- Hosts the Annual Messiah Sing and Listen event at the Katharine Hepburn Cultural Arts Center in Old Saybrook, CT
- Co-sponsors the annual SummerSings series for continued sight-reading and vocal practice in an informal setting
- Includes music education and coaching to improve sight-reading, music theory and vocal production
- Strengthens church choirs by providing their members with significant additional music training and experience
- Provides social contacts and challenging music to keep members active and engaged
- Offers opportunities to travel and sing in major cathedrals across Europe
Cappella Cantorum is made possible by the support of individuals, area businesses and foundations/corporate sponsors, as well as through grants provided by the State of Connecticut and the National Endowment for the Arts. It is also made possible by the hard work and dedication of our members, our affiliated music professionals, and our all-volunteer Board of Directors. Thank you!